What Is The Difference Between A Real Estate Consultant And A Realtor?

About Me
investing in a rental property

Are you looking for a home that you can use as a rental? Investing in real estate to lease to tenants is oftentimes a great way to spend your money. Unfortunately, there are many things that can go wrong if you don't take the time to do your research first. Think about the materials in the house - will they withstand the abuse of tenants? Will you have to replace the flooring between each tenant? This is just one thing to consider. To learn more about what you should keep in mind when searching for an investment home, continue reading through my blog.

What Is The Difference Between A Real Estate Consultant And A Realtor?

19 October 2017
 Categories: Real Estate, Blog

The housing industry has many moving parts and many different careers. You may have worked with a real estate agent before when you were looking for a new home or selling your old one or perhaps even buying a new business. Did you know there are also real estate consultants as well? While it is possible you might employ the services of a consultant, there are distinct differences between a Realtor and a consultant.

What Does a Consultant Do?

A real estate consultant has a range of responsibilities they have that you might be able to make use of. For example, they advise businesses and clients about investment opportunities within new building developments or investing in rental properties or other areas of the housing market. A consultant will provide research and analysis into the area in which you are interested in, for example, how fast a neighborhood is growing and what new developments are being planned there, or even research for developers on for sale properties for potential developments.

A consultant also gives advice to banks about investments, mortgage lenders, builders and material production companies.

Real Estate Agents

Real estate agents have two roles – one to sell a property by listing it for sale and to help buyers purchase properties. The buyer's agent will bring clients to take a look at existing listings and advise them on if a particular property is the right one for their needs and budget. The selling agent completes the purchase papers and transaction for the sale of the home and can refer you to a lawyer for the legal process of buying a home.

These two differing careers can and do overlap at times. There are agents who do consulting and give advice to new and existing businesses on possible investment properties and can help land or city developers and builders purchase land or even sell unused land they no longer require. It is possible you will work with both if your business requires it as well.

A consultant usually won't help you buy a property but they can give you all relevant information you will need to make an informed decision, especially if you are considering a commercial property or plan to use a home as a rental income. They also work with cities to help better infrastructure by providing research on the growing population and what they are most likely to buy in a given area.